Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Haleakala National Park

We made the long drive to Haleakala National Park yesterday. Haleakala is a dormant volcano here on Maui.


First we made the long drive up this curvy road to get to the summit of the volcano.

Then we reached the summit (which happens to be 10,023 feet high!). I think this is the highest altitude I have ever visited with the exception of flying in airplanes. (FYI... Donner Summit is only 7,085 feet high!)



At the summit of the volcano almost nothing grows. One thing that grows is these really cool plants called the Silversword. The only place these plants grow in the world is in Haleakala National Park. For some information from Wikipedia click here.








Here are some pictures of the actual volcano crater. It is sort of a moonscape, nothing grows in the crater.



Family picture at the actual crater. I think that Delaney was a little disappointed that the volcano wasn't actually erupting and spewing lava (I guess we'll have to visit the Big Island next time to see that!)



And here we are after coming down the volcano. We stopped at a really good restaurant called Milagro's in Paia. Paia is a town in Maui that is well known for it's wind surfing.
Stay tuned for more of our Maui adventures. Hopefully you aren't sick of all my pictures yet!

No comments: