Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fridge Problems...

This my friends is what happens when your ice maker starts leaking in to your freezer.

You end up with a huge block of ice that freezes all your food together inside your freezer that can not be removed with anything but a jackhammer.

And this is what I have been dealing with the past 3 days, and I still can not get my food out of the freezer which at this point appears to be ruined. I can see my economy Costco pack of ground beef through the icy haze and it appears to have turned a lovely shade of brown. It's similar to the color of cooked ground beef, except sadly this meet has not been cooked yet.

And in case you weren't aware, this isn't the first problem I have had with my gem of a refrigerator. Last year we had service people out to fix the fridge about seven different times with problems ranging from the ice maker to problems about coolness inside the actual fridge itself. Each time the repair people came out they swear they had fixed the problem once and for all. And I thought the problem may have actually been fixed because last July we left for a few days to attend the beautiful wedding of my brother in law (Chris' brother) and sister in law in the Santa Cruz mountains to come home to discover our fridge quit working all together. And the weather was hot, so everything in our freezer melted and the stuff in our fridge started to smell. So Chris and I had to spend a fun couple of hours cleaning that mess out. Luckily the lemon of a fridge is still under warranty (and will be until 2009!) and a repair company came out and fixed the fridge for us. It seemed like a huge hassle and with the amount of parts they had to use, I'm surprised they didn't just give us a whole new fridge all together, it probably would have been a lot cheaper for them.

And now we sit here again waiting for our fridge to be fixed. In the mean time I may have to take a hammer to the ice block in my freezer to try and get the soiled food out. Fun times, fun times.

3 comments:

Princess Heather said...

One time Kate and I decided to help the defrosting process of a freezer by using a hammer and other such implements, and I accidentally hit myself in the mouth and gave myself a fat lip. So be careful when you work on yours. I am just saying.

Melissa said...

Thanks for the heads up. When I mentioned it to Chris last night, he suggested I wear safety googles and make sure that Delaney is a safe distance away. Apparently he doesn't trust me. And part of the reason I haven't been able to defrost it yet is Delaney. I try to keep the door open and she closes it and I don't really want her to help me with the hammer and I have a feeling she'll want to!

Grandma Barb said...

Your freezer looks like the ice bar that we visited today here in Stockholm! Everything: the bar itself, furniture, walls and even the glasses they served the vodka in were made of ice. Only 23 degrees inside so they gave us parkas to wear. Maybe you could sell tickets to see your ice sculptures and make enough money to buy a new fridge.