Wednesday, April 30, 2008

When Did I Become Green???

With Delaney being sick and taking more naps than usual I have a lot more free time on my hands. I could be using this time to clean my house but I went through a huge spring cleaning over the last 2 months so I don’t have too many more closets and cupboards to clean out. And all of the projects I have left are being saved for Sunday afternoon’s because they are projects that require some form of help from Chris.

So this morning I have been pondering when I did I start to go green? When I graduated high school and in college I was probably one of the least green people around and now I’m starting to see aspects of tree huggerness creeping into my life. For instance I have become fanatical about reusable grocery bags. I have 10 reusable grocery bags that I carry around in my car at all times. And let me tell you the reusable shopping bag craze hasn’t hit our little town yet so I get a lot of stares and strange glances carrying them around the grocery store!

The real reason why I am pondering greenness is because I have just spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure out how to purchase a hybrid Toyota Prius as my second car. I have told Chris in the past that I want a hybrid car as my second vehicle and he just seems to laugh at me. The hybrid car craze seemed to hit Northern California while we were visiting last week and it made me want one even more. I have heard of several people buying hybrids and that the hybrid payment and the small of amount of gas they put in it is cheaper than what they were paying in gas alone for their SUV or truck.

So to make long story a lot shorter I have been running the numbers this morning and for me to buy a Toyota Prius with no money down, my payment would be roughly equivalent to the same amount I spend to put gas in my Tahoe each month. The problem is that I don’t want to get rid of my Tahoe and I’ll still have to put gas in it and gas in the Prius. And I really only want the Prius for driving around town because I’m not sure how I feel about driving in a small car on the freeway for long distances, which means that I would still use the gas guzzling Tahoe to make my 45 minute trip to take Delaney to swimming lessons once a week. So in reality I would be paying more to have a Prius and to still use my normal car for freeway trips. I guess the money issue blows my plans of owning a second car out of the water so until I win the lottery I can just dream.

And just for your information, they only reason I want a Toyota Prius is because they seem to be the cheapest hybrid car on the market. When I had this conversation with Chris he told me that I couldn’t have a Toyota Prius because they are ugly. He said that I should be thinking of a Honda Hybrid because he thinks they look nicer. Unfortunately they cost more money and shatter my dreams even more of a purchasing a hybrid vehicle as my second car.

3 comments:

Princess Heather said...

I am totally getting a hybrid for my next car. I was thinking about the Camry Hybrid. I wish I could have two cars, that would be pimpin'. And I am very green these days. Changed all my light bulbs. Drive less. Etc. Etc. Not green enough to not enjoy some nice air conditioning though.

Melissa said...

Heather,
When I purchase a multi-million dollar lottery ticket, I will totally buy you a Camry Hybrid. And just so you know I'm not super green also, the AC has been chugging away at my house because it has been as hot as H-E double hockey sticks around here (luckily we are having a cold front today, it's only 69 degrees!). And I still use my dryer a lot, I haven't reverted to putting up a clothsline in the backyard and I don't think I ever will!

Melissa Too said...

I am so proud of you! You know they say that green is the new pink! :) Whenever Chris gives you a hard time about being a tree-hugger just remind him that you aren't nearly as crazy as I am and he will be happy that you aren't making him recycle everything in sight and trying to convince him you should start composting!!