Thursday, April 17, 2008

Meet My Friend Daddy (Or How to Eat an Artichoke)

Delaney has this semi-embarrassing habit of introducing herself to everybody. In the checkout line at Target or the grocery store she’ll often talk to the checker and say something along the lines of “I’m Delaney, this is Mommy.” I have told Delaney several times that I have a name other than Mommy but she seems to think that my other name is useless and everyone else should call me Mommy also. She is now continuing these introductions into other parts of our life and every evening when Chris gets home from work the introductions begin again. As soon as he walks in the door she announces loudly to Chris “I’m Delaney, this is Mommy.” Then she turns to me and says even louder “This is my friend Daddy.” I’m so grateful that I have Delaney to instigate these introductions because with the long hours Chris works this time of year, I might forget who he is since he tends to spends more hours at work than he does at home.


Well apparently Delaney’s friend Daddy needs some special help on occasion. Last night, we ate these new fangled vegetables called artichokes for dinner. Delaney was concerned Daddy didn’t know what an artichoke was or how to eat it. Delaney got right up next to Chris’ plate and told him that this was an artichoke and it has leaves. Delaney began pulling off the leaves of the artichoke, dipping them in a large amount of mayonnaise and feeding them to her special friend Daddy. Then when Daddy was finished eating the end of the artichoke leaf, Delaney would toss the remnants in a bowl to be thrown away later. Hopefully, Daddy took notes on what to do. We’d like him to be able to eat artichokes on his own next time we have them for dinner.

3 comments:

Grandma Barb said...

The big question is did Delaney try the artichokes too? My guess would be "NO WAY"; but there's always hope that she'll find some vegetable of fruit that she likes.

Melissa said...

Barb,
Of course Delaney didn't eat the artichokes for dinner. Why would she waste her time eating them when it's more fun to feed them to someone else.

Grandma Barb said...

Silly me! I should know by now that Delaney won't eat anything that she hasn't tried before or is good for her.