Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tadpoles and New Orleans

Delaney's class is learning about tadpoles this year and they have an aquarium full of tadpoles just about ready to sprout legs in their classroom. Delaney loves these tadpoles and talks about them a lot. This lead Chris to share the story that when we was little, his Mom would take him and Tim up to canal above their house to collect tadpoles. Then they would bring the tadpoles home and let them grow in water in their backyard.

So guess who, wanted to go tadpole hunting as soon as she heard this story? Of course Delaney would want to do that, it's right up her alley.

Yesterday, while we were in San Jose, Delaney convinced Grandma Barb to take her tadpole hunting just like she used to do with Daddy and Uncle Tim. They had good luck on their adventure and Delaney came home covered in mud with a bucket full of tadpoles.

Here's a shot of the tadpoles...




Also, on this adventure Delaney decided she would like to take the tadpoles home with her, so we can watch them grow at our house.

So we waited until Daddy got home from work and released them into the fountain in our front yard.





I didn't get a good picture of the fountain, but the tadpoles are swimming around in there and seem to be enjoying their new home.

Also, since tadpoles turn into frogs, and the movie the Princess and the Frog is set in New Orleans I decided to share these blurry pictures I took with my iPhone. Grandma Barb and Grandpa Don just got back from New Orleans and brought these treasures back for Delaney.



She had the best time wearing her "Mardi Gras costumes" and dancing around last night.

And really I am aware the "Mardi Gras costume" pictures have nothing to do with tadpoles but I figured by tying New Orleans, frogs and tadpoles together I could be lazy and write about both things in the same blog post.

4 comments:

Grandma Barb said...

Glad the tadpoles made it home safely and that they have a nice new spot to grow into frogs. Hope you've found something for them to eat too since I'm sure that they're pretty hungry.

Grandma Peggy said...

Tadpoles! Right up Delaney alley. She must be in heaven.
She will want to check on them all day long. Good luck Melissa. She is going to keep you busy.

Princess Heather said...

Delaney looks cute in her New Orleans finery. How fun.

Don't tell Delaney this, cause I want her to think I am cool, but tadpoles creep me out a little.

Melissa said...

Heather,

Of course Delaney thinks you are still cool. After all you gave her Fluff the frog, who is still swimming around alive and well.